Frame - Trance Advanced 29er (large)
Rear shock - Fox DPX2
Front shock/fork - Fox 34 FIT4 @ 130mm
Handlebars - Ritchey carbon flatbar
Stem - Syntace 109 in 60mm, ti bolts.
Headset - Stock Giant headset
Grips - Giant lockon grips
Seatpost - Giant SL dropper with top cradle and Ti bolts from my previous carbon seatpost
Front brake - XTR M9000 race brakes
Rear brake - XTR M9000 race brakes
Cranks - Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL Hollowgram SiSL
Chain - KMC X11SL
Pedals - Xpedo XMF08TT
Front derailleur - N/A (for the moment)
Rear derailleur - Shimano XTR M9000 medium cage
Front shifter - N/A
Rear shifter - Shimano XTR M9000 rear shifter
Cassette - Shimano XTR 11-40
Front hub - Tune King 15mm non-boost 32h
Rear hub - Tune Kong 135mm non-boost 32h
Front rim - Stans NoTubes Crest Mk3 29er 32h
Rear rim - Stans NoTubes Crest Mk3 29er 32h
Spokes - DT Swiss Revolution
Nipples - DT Swiss 12mm
Tyres - Continental X-King 2.4 Racesport front and Racing Ralph 2.25 rear.
Tubes - Tubeless with homemade sealant
Total weight - 10.6kg
Fit and finish
Paintwork and overall finish on this bike is superb. I really can't fault it.
Giant Contact SL Dropper Post
I replaced the stock top-cradle and bolts with the ones off a lightweight seatpost I used on my previous Trance X 29er ( more info ).
Fitting Cannondale hollowgram cranks
In an attempt to re-use the DUB bottom bracket that came with the bike, I did the following:
- removed the DB bearing spacers - this leaves the bearings which have 30mm ID, so perfect for the hollowgram spindle;
- ordered a 137mm bottom bracket - A3009-137L (the 132mm bottom bracket is a fraction too short and you get every so slight binding on the DB BB shell);
- machined up some spacers that work with the DB bearing seals.
The outer bearing seal on the DUB bearings has an additional sealing edge that seals up against the vertical face of the plastic DUB bearing insert. This means, that to stop unnecessary friction you need a slightly different step than what's available with the standard Cannondale spacers.
137mnm wide bottom bracket
This is how it came from the factory:
- Giant Contact SL 35mm diameter handlebar, stem and saddle;
- SRAM GX Eagle 12 speed cassette (XG-1275 10-50T), shifter and rear derailleur;
- Truvativ Descendant Eagle, DUB, 30T crankset;
- SRAM Guide T hydraulic brakes with 4 piston calipers;
- Giant TRX 1 29 Hookless Composite, DBL, 28h wheels with what look to be DT Swiss 360 compatible hubs;
- Maxxis Minion DHR II, TR, 3C, EXO, Folding, 29x2.3” front tyre and Maxxis Minion DHF, TR, 3C, EXO, Folding, 29x2.3” rear tyre.
Weight was a pretty respectable 12.8kg without pedals.
If you're looking to upgrade your Advanced Pro 1 then here is a table of component weights for some of the stuff I removed:
|Giant Contact SL trail rise handlebars, 35mm||295g|
|Giant Contact SL stem, 50mm long for 35mm dia bars||219g|
|Giant Contact SL, Neutral saddle||161g|
|SRAM Guide T hydraulic brakes (set with 900mm and 1580mm hoses)||586g|
|SRAM Centreline 180mm rotors (each)||147g|
|MRP 1x V3 Alloy chainguide 30-34T ISCG 05 mount (with mounting bolts)||52g|
|SRAM Eagle GX 12 speed chain||250g|
|SRAM Eagle GX 12 speed shifter||120g|
|SRAM Eagle GX 12 speed shifter||120g|
|SRAM XG-1275 Eagle 12 Speed Cassette - 10-50T||445g|
|Descendant 170mm DUB boost crankset with Eagle 30T XSYNC-2 chainring||700g|
The Trance 29er uses a trunnion metric shock with eye-to-eye of 165mm and 42.5mm stroke. In the big thread on the Trance 29er on MTBR it seems some have had success with using the more "regular" size 165mm x 45mm stroke shock. This will provide a little more suspension travel. Clearance might be an issue on full bottom out. Check your actual frame before going down this path!!!
Fox DPX2 Performance Elite
This is the shock that the 2020 Advanced Pro 1 comes with. Tune designation on the air can is "DXL2". Air can is the Evol Extra Volume. If your bike comes with a Fox shock and you're interested in more details then start by putting the four letter code (eg. DXL2) into the Fox website; For DXL2, the Fox site returns the following information:
- 2020, FLOAT DPX2, P-Se, A, 3pos-Adj, Trunnion, Evol LV, Giant, Trance Adv Pro 29 1, 165, 42.5, 0.6 Spacer, CM, RLA019, Rezi A F M, TA-2509 Matte/TA-2509 Matte Logo
You can instantly see that we've got the code right as the first bits of info match our bike. We can also see that the shock has:
- 165mm eye-to-eye measurement;
- 42.5mm stroke;
- comes with the 0.6 air can spacer fitted (0.6 Spacer);
- has a medium compression tune (CM);
- has a light rebound tune with special manufacturer code A019 (RLA019).